A dining room in a home can be a place of love, of laughter, of good times spent with family and good friends. If you’re looking to give your décor and look of your dining room an upgrade, here are seven ways you can make your dining room look elegant on a budget.
- Get a high-end look for less: These days you can window shop for hours when looking at décor, whether you’re looking to spruce up your living room or your dining room. You can look at high-end décor all you want, but your wallet may say otherwise. With that in mind, one of the easiest things you can do to transform a dining room is to give it a new coat of paint. Taking plain, white walls and adding a light tone through a new coat of paint and give it a totally new vibe.
- Add some flowers: Another easy addition to the dining room, especially the dining table, is to add some floral arrangements. If you’re feeling really creative, you can create some eye-pleasing centerpieces using fresh flowers. You can buy flowers that are in season and it doesn’t cost much to add a splash of floral color whether you’re entertaining company or sitting down to an everyday family meal.
- Put a rug down: One way to spice up the décor is to add rugs to a space. Rugs provide comfort and help absorb the impact of the bodies walking over it. Ideally, a rug’s edges should be 12 to 14 inches from the room’s perimeter. Mission rugs can also help promote a healthy home, especially if you’ve got family that suffers from allergies. Adding a rug can also help your dining area feel grounded and are great insulators, especially during the colder months.
- Change up the lighting: Another easy way to spice up the dining room is to add some creative lighting. Whether your know it or not, lighting is a crucial element and there are many spins you can put on traditional lighting to add to the vibe. Adding creative lighting elements to the dining table and elsewhere in your dining area can really liven up the room.
- Add some art: Adding artwork to your dining room can make it look elegant and upscale. Installing an art piece or several pieces of art can provide talking points around the dining table. If you’re not much of an art connoisseur, you can always consult art apps and website to find pieces that are unique and won’t break the bank. If you and your family are artistically-minded, you can always hang up pieces that you’ve made to make the dining room feel even more unique.
- Add some new flatware: When it comes to giving your dining room table and dining area a makeover, adding flatware is a great way to do it. In recent years, interior design trends have pointed toward using gold flatware for dining. It’s metallic, shiny finish gives your dining table a high-end feel and if you cook a luxury meal, it can make guests feel like they’re eating at a five-star restaurant. Of course, you can choose another type of flatware that matches the décor of your dining room.
- Add new wallpaper: Another way to update your dining room is by adding new wallpaper. Depending on what kind of wallpaper you choose, you can take your dining room from drab to fab and make it one of the focal points of the room. If you’re feeling particularly creative, you can coordinate the table cloth and window shades with the wallpaper to create a unifying theme.
Interior designers recommend updating a year about once every five years. If it’s been a while since you’ve updated your dining room, you don’t have to break the bank to give it a makeover. Adding simple touches like new wallpaper and creative lighting can liven up the room. Adding things like new flatware and floral arrangement can make your dining room seem like an upscale place. By mixing a bit of creativity with a little bit of decorative flair, you can transform your dining room into the go-to place in your home.