There are at least 4.8 million people in the United States who use a cane to help them get around. These are the most widely utilized mobility device in the country. If you are looking to get a cane to help get around, you have a lot of options. There are brass cane handles and wooden canes and a host of other kinds. Here are some tips to help you pick the cane that is right for you and your situation.
- Look at the design. When it comes to canes, there are several kinds of cane to look at. Here are a few:
- The standard cane: This is a used mainly by people who have issues with balance.These have one tip and are agile canes. You can get standard canes that can be folded up. Folding canes can be really great for when you travel.
- The quad cane. As the name suggests, this kind of cane has four tips rather than one. People who need to put more weight on their canes do better with this kind of cane. These are also good for people who need durable canes that are more stable. These also tend to weigh more than standard canes.
- The seat cane. Again, as the name suggests, these canes come with a seat. These are good for people who like to take walks but need to sit down every so often. These are also great for waiting in lines. These look a lot like a tripod. They can fold out to give you a seat when and where you want it. You have several options with this kind of cane.
- Pick your material. There are a number of different materials that canes are made from. Here are a few:
- Wood: Most of the canes that are in use today are made from wood. You can add some flair by adding brass cane handles to them. There are a lot of stylish walking canes that are made from wood.
- Metal: If you want a stronger cane, you can get one that has been made out of metal. You can also get metal canes whose height can be adjusted.
- Carbon fiber: There are some great carbon fiber folding walking sticks and canes out there. These are even stronger than the metal canes. They also weigh less and are nearly impossible to break.
- Get the right height for your new cane. When it comes to canes, the most important part is not the kind of handle, though brass cane handles are nice, but the height of the cane. If you get one that is too short, you will end up with a bunch of aches and pains after a day of walking with it. A cane that is not the right height will not help, in fact, it may end up doing more harm than good if it is too short or tall. Make sure you are wearing the shoes or boots that you use the most often when you are shopping for your cane.
- Get the right grip. After the height, the grip is the next most important part of your new cane. When you are looking at canes, pay close attention to the shape and the way it feels in your hand and on your wrist. The wrong grip can leave your hand and wrist sore and unhappy at the end of the day.
- Look at the tips. The area of your cane that will get the most wear and tear is the tip. You need to get a cane whose tip is built to last. The most long lasting and useful tips for canes are made from reinforced plastic. You can also look at rubber tipped canes to help with different surfaces. If you plan to do a lot of hiking with your cane, a rubber tip may be the best kind of tip for you and your lifestyle.
if you need a cane, there are many options. Whether you like brass cane handles or not, if you take some time and look around, you will be able to find a cane that helps you get around easier. Getting the right one is a great thing you can do for yourself.